Ratnagiri (रत्नागिरी) is a coastal district of Maharashtra State, situated in the western coast of India. It has north-south length of about 180 km and average east-west extension of about 64 km. Sahyadri hills surround it in the east beyond which there are Satara, Sangli and Kolhapur districts, Raigad district in the north, the Arabian Sea in the west and Sindhudurg district in the south.
Ratnagiri can be physically divided into 3 zones.
This zone extends to about 10-15 km from seacoast and generally has low altitude and about 2500 mm rainfall. Most of the activities in this area are connected with sea. This area contains numerous beaches, creeks, sea forts, harbors, hot water springs, caves, temples and other religious places, places of scenic beauty as well as birthplace of some great personalities. The possible tourist activities include inland and sea water ways, sailing, boating, water sports like water scooter, canoeing, fishing, camping, marinas, coastal resorts and marine parks; but the major problem is the lack of easy accessibility and road network.
Hill area Zone
This area includes the western slopes of Sahyadri and extends up to about 10-15 km. It generally has medium to high altitude with high rainfall of about 3500 mm. A large area in this zone is covered by forest although it is deteriorating very fast. A substantial drop in temperature is experienced at places exposed to the rising western breeze. This area contains hill forts, ghat roads, forests, wild life, etc. It gives panoramic views at many places.The possible tourist activities include trekking, hiking, forest camps, holiday resorts, bird sanctuaries, wild life safari, etc.
This area lies between the coastal and hill areas and generally has a medium altitude. It is more accessible due to the Bombay-Goa-Highway as well as the Konkan railway. However, it contains very few places of tourist interest, mostly religious places and hot water springs.
» DISTRICT AT A GLANCE
- Over 85% of the land surface in Ratnagiri district is hilly. All rivers in the district originate in the Sahyadri ranges and flow from east to west and merge in Arabian Sea. The important rivers of the district are Vashisthi, Jagabudi Bay and Naringi.
- It has 167 km long sea coast which contains many beaches, pats, and forts. 180 km long Sahyadri hill range, contains hills, hill forts, wild life and many places of scenic beauty. Number of creeks-ideal and safe for water sports, boating, fishing, swimming, camping etc. Few rivers-which are navigable up to about 40 km distance from sea is also a good attraction for water front activities. Natural wonders like hot water springs at few places.
- Hills, sea shores, creeks, rivers, hot water springs, forests, water falls, & religious places attract tourists & pilgrims from great distance.
- Birthplaces of many famous personalities like Lokmanya Tilak, freedom fighters, politicians, poets, authors etc.
- Alphonsa Mangoes [Hapus], Cashewnut, Kokum, Coconut etc. are famous for their quality and taste.
- Vivid cultural activities like folk dances and drama; local arts and crafts. Konkan is famous for its koli dances, the Dashavatari drama etc.
- Characteristic Konkan cuisine, especially non-vegetarian dishes of fish, prawns and seafood are mouth-watering.
Ratnagiri district (Marathi: रत्नागिरी जिल्हा) is one of the 35 districts of Maharashtra state in western India. Ratnagiri (city) is the district headquarters of the district. The district is 11.33% urban. The district is bounded by the Arabian Sea to the west, Sindhudurg districtto the south, Raigad district to the north and Satara, Sangli and Kolhapur districts to the east. This district is part of Konkan division.